Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Hidden Costs

Yesterday evening, after a few days of searching and debating over dates, I booked some flights to Spain. I tend to go away quiet regularly but its been a while since I booked flights and accommodation separately. The last time I was away it was with a package holiday and the time previous to that I was going to the US.

Anyway, this time Ryanair were the cheapest airline and the flight times really suited me. It took a while to agree on dates with my friend and get time off from work sorted etc. All along I had been pricing the flights for one person as we'd be paying separately. I finally got the go ahead to book the flights yesterday evening and the price of the flights had actually gone down since the day before.

So I put in the details for me and my friend. Added on €20 each for bags. €10 each for web check in. No travel insurance required. Filled in the address details and the other standard info. Then I got to the payment section. This is where I got annoyed. As I said, all along I had been pricing the fligths for one person, so when I was pricing them I added on €10 for credit charge fee. However, this time the increase was €20 for the handling fee. Now I can understand the €10 charge as most places add that on but I think €10 each is a bit much.

Therefore if ten people were flying on the one booking the handling fee would be €100. Correct me if I'm wrong. Even if ten people were booking the payment is still being taken from the one credit card so why then is it €10 each? It really doesn't make sense to me.

Don't get me wrong. I think Ryanair are a fantastic company. They changed the whole airline industry for the better. They brought competition to an otherwise stagnant market. They made air travel extremely affordable by stripping things down bit by bit. Michael O'Leary is one the most innovative people in business today. But by doing things like enforcing a credit card handling fee on a per person basis are Ryanair going to bring the cost of air travel back up?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a ridiculous charge you are right. As far as I know - and I haven't tried it myself - if you use your credit card to buy a Ryanair voucher, you avoid the credit card charge. OR if you register a Visa account of some sort-not too sure about that one. You can be sure if there are ways and means around it someone will find it!

Hope you enjoy the trip to Spain :)

TheRavingDave said...

Oh thats handy to know for future reference. Must look into the gift voucher idea. But knowing them, they'd have a charge for using the gift voucher!

I think I heard of that particular Visa account you're talking of. And its only applicable to US citizens or something like that. Typical. :(

Post a Comment