Monday, August 10, 2009

I Would Walk 500 Miles


A few weeks ago I decided to get my bloods checked at the doctors. Purely just to check everything was OK. A few days later the nurse called from the doctors surgery and she told me that my cholesterol had risen to 6.7. I was so extremely shocked. I am gone so much more healthy in the last two years that I thought the cholesterol would have dropped! Not the case.

I went rooting about in my files and found my results from the last time I had my bloods checked. That was in late 2007 and my cholesterol was 4.9 then. Which was very good. At that time, I wasn't the healthiest eater. And yet my cholesterol was fine. Two years on, I am a very healthy eater and I always go for the healthier option and rarely eat take away food. What the hell is after happening my body?

The nurse told me that I have to do 30 mins exercise five times a week. And not just a leisurely stroll around the place but harsh exercise....to get my heart pumping and bust that cholesterol out of my body. Now I do admit, that although I eat very healthy, I do very little exercise at all. So it must be the exercise, right?

In the area where I live the council have closed off most of the roads due to the construction of a new by pass. Its now near impossible to even go for a walk near my house as most the roads are dead ends and I don't particularly want to walk on a motor way! Plus the weather in Ireland makes it hard to go for a walk as most of the time its sunny for 10 mins and rains for 20 mins or at least the weather would make it hard to fit in five days of exercise a week.

So I bought a treadmill. I used go to the gym a few years ago and I loved the treadmill. I looked into buying them in Ireland and found a supplier in my local city. €800 including delivery. Then I found a supplier in Cork and they were €600 including delivery for the same treadmill! In the end I bought if from an English website for €630. Delivery was free and I also got a free protector mat which was worth between €70-€100. Pays to shop around I tell ya.

Treadmill arrived three weeks ago. It took two hours to assemble and it was more awkward than hard. Instructions were very good. Surprisingly.

I've been using it the past three weeks since its delivery. I feel much better. More awake. I don't use it weekends. Monday - Friday is all that I'd use it for. This morning though, before I got ready to go on the treadmill, I thought to myself "Eugh, do I really have to go on this thing today?." Oh I hope its not the start of me being lazy and not using it. I need to.

By the way, that's me in the pic above running on my treadmill this morning. Running? Are you serious? I'd collapse.

0 comments:

Post a Comment