Tuesday, November 17, 2009

FML

Alrighty then folks. This is gonna be a long one. Pull up a seat and get yourself come coffee. Get comfy.

It's only 1PM and today is already turning out to be the worst day of my life. I got a letter last week from the dole office stating I had to attend the Local Employment Office to discuss my employment opportunities, CV layout, training courses, etc. It's a standard thing so that wasn't a problem. My appointment was for 10.30 this morning.

I got up at 8.30 to get ready and do a few other bits and pieces. Had my breakfast. And then I went to shave myself so I'd be looking all respectable for the Local Employment Officer. I dropped my razor and broke the thingy that holds the blade onto the razor itself. Couldn't shave myself so I had to go scruffy looking but at least I was showered and smelling lovely.

Then I decided that I would print off my CV to bring it with me. Just in case they wanted to look at it. When I got to the printer the only paper that was in it was pink. A pink CV? I think not. I decided to print it out just to have it in case they asked. I broke the printer. No CV. Not even a pink one.

I left the house and stopped at the post office on the way to pick up my wages for the week. I went and got diesel in my car. Filled it up and when I took the nozzle out of the car a few drops of diesel blew off in the wind and straight onto my jeans. Sigh.

Finally made it to the retail park where the Local Employment Office is located. Then I realised that I forgot the letter that they had sent me. I probably didn't need it anyway but I'd liked to have had it. I looked around the retail park and couldn't see the office anywhere. So then I was wondering if there was anything else on the letter...another name perhaps...or a unit number..anything. Tried to remember what was written on it but I couldn't. I whipped out my mobile and went on the mobile internet and googled the Local Employment Office. Guess what? It wasn't called the Local Employment Office. It was called Obair. How in the name of god was I supposed to find it based on the information given to me in the letter from the dole office. Saps the lot of em.

I went in and was handed a form which already had some of my information printed on it and the lady in reception told me to go to the waiting room and fill in the additional details on the form. I was eventually seen by another lady at 10.50am. She looked at my form and said:

"So.....accounting...there is not much jobs in that at the moment. Now two jobs are there this morning. One is receptionist/bookkeeper and a bit of payroll."

"I don't have payroll. I am considering doing a course in payroll soon but the cost is too much for me to afford."

"Ok. Well there is another job here for a secretary/office admin. Doing things like answering phone, data input, deal with international clients etc. They want someone with a good look. You have a good look."

"I suppose I would consider it anyway - based on my good look of course!"

"I'll print that off for ya outside in reception"

"Grand. now look into a payroll course and I'll see will the DSFA give ya some money towards it"

"Yeah grand I'll email ya later"

"Bye"

And that was that. Less that 10 minutes later I was out in the car park thinking what a waste of time that was. Since it was early and I was in town I decided I'd make a run to Penneys and see what their slankets look like and also have a look at some gloves for myself.

I parked up and went into Penneys. It was a lovely bright sunny day. Had a quick little browse around and it was lovely and quiet in there. No mothers and buggies and clothes strewn all over the floor. Makes a change. Anyway, I wasn't at all impressed with the slankets or the gloves so I went back to my car. Now my car wasn't parked too far away but half away to the car park the heavens opened. It was the heaviest shower I have ever seen. And I was stuck in the middle of it with nowhere to hide. I got soaked. Soaked to the skin. My coat was so wet that the steering wheel, gear stick, hand brake and seat were all soaking wet too. I went straight home to change into dry clothes.

I had to post off a copy of my drivers licence and proof of my address to my car insurance company so I decided I'd do that. Put it all in an envelope and then I remembered I had a stamp somewhere that I could use. The sticky was gone off it so I decided I'd put some gloy gum on it and stick it to the envelope. Big mistake. The gloy gum was all after closing up the applicator thingy so I decided to take the lid off. Oops. It went everywhere. Fingers. Kitchen table, work top, phone, laptop and all over the envelope. I should have paid more attention to Make & Do all them years ago on RTE2.

I eventually cleaned up all the gloy gum and went off to the post office to post my letter. I put the letter on the passenger seat and when I went around the roundybout my car keys slid across the seat and on top of the envelope. Now they were covered in gloy gum too, as was my car seat. So I posted the letter and then I said I may aswell get something for my lunch in the adjoining shop. I bought a floury bap and put it in the plastic bag provided. The flour went everywhere. When I got to the till to pay I noticed all the flour had stuck to the gloy gum on my hands so now I looked like I had leprosy or some other god awful disease.

I came home and made up my lunch. Went to get some coffee to go with it. Cos it'd be a bit dry without it like. I spilled hot water all over the work top. I went to the milk in and when I opened the carton a load of milk splattered out onto my jumper for some god unkown reason. The milk carton has never done that before.

It's now 1.40PM-ish. I'm wondering will I just go to bed and hide until the morning before anything else happens.

It's just one of them days!

Oh and I got a Christmas card from a friend in the post this morning........WTF? It's the 17th of November.

4 comments:

The Jelly Monster said...

Awh my chicken, do you want a hug? Do you have some cammomile? That will help...

TheRavingDave said...

Aww thanks dude! I'm ok now. My spot of bad luck has passed....I hope. Ha

Anonymous said...

What's a slanket?? It sounds addictive.

Next time you're in Penneys, pick yourself up a onesie - they're those all-in-one baby-gro romper suits that toddlers wear, but in an adult size. Excellent invention. That way at least when you're having a day hiding at home, you can do it in style.

P.S. At least you didn't put petrol into the diesel tank hey! That would have messed things up nicely.

TheRavingDave said...

Welcome K8. The slanket is a blanket with sleeves. Google it...you will be amazed! They are €8 in penneys. I heard arnotts had them in a bargain basement bin last week :( Missed out.

I'm always paranoid when i'm putting diesel in the car. Ha. I keep checking.

I heard about them romper suits. I dunno about them now. Maybe for a lady they would be ok. ;)

Post a Comment