Sunday, November 22, 2009

My Shopping Adventure

Last Wednesday evening I had a look inside the fridge and I thought that it looked rather empty. Knowing that the weather was about to take a turn for the worst over the coming days I decided to skip along to the supermarket and buy some essentials and some treats for me too!

I called my friend and I asked her if she wanted to come with me. Just for the spin like. So I picked her up and we headed to our local superquinn. Now my friend only moved back to Ireland this July having been living in America for the past two years. She was rather amazed at the fact that Superquinn offer a self scan service. You know the one where you swipe your club card and you get a hand held scanner and scan all your own products and pack them away in your shopping bag as you shop? She could not comprehend how they would trust people to scan all the items. I explained that they do random scans every so often. She still couldn't get over it.

Anyway, we strolled around the aisle's picking items off the shelves and scanning them and putting them in my shopping bags. I had the usual stuff, pasta, carbonarra sauce, flour, raisins, bread, lettuce, onions, lemonade, coke, etc. I had them all packed away neatly.

I went up to the superscan till and paid for my shopping and left the store. When we had enetered the supermarket at about 6.30PM there was no wind or rain. It was a pleasent enough night. But when we were leaving at just after 7.00PM the wind had really picked up and the rain was belting. So my friend, being the girl that she is, ran to the car screaming that her hair was getting wet. I was left pushing a trolley over to my car and I got soaked in the process. Off I was trotting to the car when a big gust of wind came.

The next events all happened in slow motion. I had a newspaper under my arm. I had both hands firmly gripped to the trolley. I looked down at my shopping. I had placed a head of lettuce on top of one of the bags so it wouldn't get squashed. I was just putting my hand out to push it down a bit when the gust of wind came and blew it out of the trolley. It was gone like a rocket hurtling across the car park. I could hear my friend laughing in the car. Bitch.

I chucked the rest of the shopping into the boot and my friend was saying to leave the lettuce. I couldn't. I needed it for my lunch the next day. At this stage the lettuce was gone half way across the car park and it was still rolling. I chucked the trolley back into the trolley bay and ran after my lettuce.

I battled the wind and the rain. It was trying to beat me back and it nearly succeeded but I wasn't going to let it beat me. I had to get my lettuce. It had travelled for nearly a mile. Well it felt like a mile. I eventually caught up with it. It was under a parked car. Right behind the mud flap. Grabbed it and ran back to the car.

I was soaked to the skin. My friend was saying I was mad. It's a head of lettuce. You could have bought another one tomorrow, etc.

I NEED IT FOR MY LUNCH TOMORROW

0 comments:

Post a Comment